Monday, April 28, 2008

ho hum

so i've just returned from Chicago. I am completely spent both physically and mentally. I think I need to learn to toughen up a bit. I let some things (while extremely ignorant and racist) fluster my composure. I must overcome that and not let it affect me as much as it is right now.

my biggest concern about being a part of this art world is that people seem to have a perverse fascination with my last name and want to talk about that moreso than the work. i don't care if they love it or hate it or are caught somewhere in between, at least they would be engaged in the WORK and not my ethnicity.

i know i'm going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life, but it's trying to figure out the best way to deal with the stupid questions that are thrown my way because of people's ignorance.

however, chicago was not a complete bust. actually i think it was a great learning experience. it was overwhelming to see so much work in 3 days. i have art overload. there were some great pieces there though and i got to meet some great artists. i also saw some familiar faces. the world really is small. 6 degrees of separation and shit. i'm grateful that i had friends around to keep me company in the madness of it all.

i'm anxious to get some good sleep and get to work in my studio.